- 1 Setting the Gold Standard
- 2 Versions
- 3 Honda TRX90 ATV Specs and Features (1994 – 2005)
- 4 Improvements Post 2005
- 5 TRX90 Known Issues Carburetor Problem
- 6 High Idle
- 7 Restricted Top End
- 8 Starting Issues
- 9 Rider Feedback
- 10 About Honda
- 11 Conclusion – Honda TRX 90 ATV
- 12 How fast does a 90 ATV go?
- 13 Does a Honda TRX 90 have an oil filter?
- 14 How much is a 2005 Honda TRX 90 worth?
- 15 Does Honda still make TRX?
- 16 Whats the smallest ATV Honda makes?
- 17 What is a good size quad for a 14 year old?
- 18 Does the TRX 90 have gears?
- 19 How fast does a Honda TRX 90 go?
- 20 Frequently Asked Questions
Honda TRX 90 ATV: It is the Honda TRX 90 is one of the most popular ATVs for children ever.
The small, but powerful machine doesn’t benefit from technological advances, unlike the other models.
However, this is a great thing as its simplicity is a great toy for children learning and is a beloved toy for older adults who are nostalgic.
It is the TRX 90 model is the sole youth-oriented model in the entire range of sport-ATVs. Since its introduction at the beginning of 1994, this four-wheeler has been unrivaled in its field.
The 4×4 has a racy appearance with a smooth ride, as well as an impressive power-to-weight ratio, which makes it the perfect pit bike.
It could be better off with long wheel travel, double A-arms, and a larger carb. However, that’s just the people who are passionate about it. For kids, the power that comes with the TRX 90 can more than bring joy and excitement.
This classic 4×4 proves that a vehicle doesn’t have to be extravagant to be practical. Stay tuned, and learn more about this stunning little car that dominated the young ATV section of Honda.
Setting the Gold Standard
As the only 4×4 for youth within Honda’s sports lineup, the Japanese manufacturer made sure that the quad set the benchmark for what a contemporary entry-level off-road vehicle ought to be.
It comes with all the components to be the ultimate young driver’s first vehicle – an electronic start, a manageable power, and reliable control, race-ready suspension, and easy-to-use controls.
Combine this with Honda’s top-of-the-line standards, and you’ll have an unbeatable quad that is designed to enhance the skills of any beginner driver before they can progress to faster larger, more powerful machines.
It was first introduced at the beginning of 1993 (for the model of 1994) In 1993 (for the 1994 model), the TRX 90 instantly became the most popular choice for people who were looking to expose their kids to outdoor activities even at a young age. The TRX 90’s manual transmission, as well as semi-automatic clutch, attracted a large number of fans.
The sporty design with a low center of gravity didn’t just attract riders but also improved their confidence. Because of these simple but practical features, it stayed undisputed in its category, even with the influx of fuel-injected, automatic-transmission kid ATVs in the first decade of the millennia.
Three versions of the Honda TRX90 comes in three different variations:
- Base model TRX90
The second and third models were available in white, black with accents of pink and olive/camouflage colors while the base model was offered only in the Honda’s distinctive red. In addition to the color, the sole significant difference between the original versions and the more recent versions is the age restriction.
The age limit was changed from a minimum age of 12 years (for models between 1994 and 2016) and then to 10 and over (from 2017 onwards).
Honda TRX90 ATV Specs and Features (1994 – 2005)
- Engine This engine comes to life by a longitudinally-mounted four-stroke Air-cooled, single-cylinder OHC engine. It has an octave-stroke ratio of 47 49.5 x 49.5 millimeters. The displacement of the engine is to be 85.8 cubic centimeters (5.23 in3) produced by a 16mm piston-valve carburetor.
- Its compression ratio stands at 9.2:1. It has a forced pressure and wet-sump lubrication system with urethane foam-and-screen air filtration. The weight of the engine on its own stands at 43.7 lbs/19.8 Kg. the capacity of the fuel tank can be 1.58 US gallons/6 liters with an 0.34-gallon reserve.
- Lubrication The capacity of oil after disassembly amounts to 0.75 US quarts/0.71 liters. Make use of Honda GN4 4-stroke oil or its equivalent, with the API service classification that is at least SJ to get the best results.
- Do not use variants that contain additives or friction modifiers since they could create engine damage and Honda TRX 90 parts damage. The recommended viscosity is SAE 10W-40 However, you could choose to use SAE 5W or 10W-30 20W-40, 20W-40, or 20W-50, based on the temperature of the surrounding.
- The drivetrain The four-speed drivetrain with a wet, multi-plate, semi-automatic, centrifugal clutch, as well as a chain-and-sprocket set-up, provides force to the wheel.
- The first reduction of the transmission is 4.058 (69/17) while the last reduction of 3.846 (50/13). Its gearshift is operated with the left foot and is a pattern of N-1-2-3-4. The quad has an ignition switch that is keyed for extra security and an adjustable throttle limiter to suit youngsters.
- Ignition: It was originally equipped with a recoil pull-rope starter as well as a CDI ignition system. This was replaced with a DC-CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) electric starter system in 2006.
- This requires an NGK the CR7HSA or Nippon-Denso FSR-U spark plug as well as a 12V 4Ah, 80-CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) battery that has a dimension in the range of 4.40 x 2.75 and 4.25 inches (112 70 x 108 millimeters, the dimensions are L, W, and H) and does not include the wire harness or other mounting accessories.
- tires: Front aluminum wheels are fitted with Ohtsu AT101 AT20 X 7 tires, and the rear wheels have Ohtsu the PU302 AT19 8-8 TRX90 tires. The wheelbase of the vehicle measures 38.8 inches (985 millimeters).
- Kenda Scorpion K290 ATV Tires (view on Amazon) are good alternatives to front knobbies, in the event of tire wear or damage.
- Brakes Front brakes make use of dual-sealed 110-mm hydraulic drum brakes, whereas the rear brake is a single sealed 140-mm drum. The standard brake for parking enhances the braking power.
- If you’re in need of rebuilding it, you can check out this Rubber-grooved Water Brake Shoes & Springs (view on Amazon) that will fit every 90-cc SporTrax model, and even comes with decals for free.
- Suspension Inside a double-cradle frame is a swing-axle type independent front suspension as well as the swingarm rear suspension, which has one shock, both of which allow 2.56 inches (65 millimeters) in wheel movement.
- The suspension design allows for the overall turn diameter that is 8.3 feet, which allows for more precise turns, which is ideal for racing.
- Dimensions Dimensions of the vehicle are 58.6 and 35.2 and 36.1 inches (1,489 895 x 917 mm L x W + H). The clearance for the ground of 4 inches (102 millimeters) in the event of not being loaded, and it’s its seat high is 25.5 inches (648 mm). The rear and front treads have a width of 27.6 inches (700 millimeters) each.
- Its dry weight is pounds (110 Kilograms); GVWR can go up to 441 pounds – an amalgamation that is 254-pounds (115 kg) curb weight and a maximum capacity of 187 lbs (85 kg).
- External: The TRX90 has double-cradle steel frames and a plastic body material available in black, red, and white. It is fitted with handlebars, footpegs and skid plates, and floorboards, which allow smaller feet to grasp the footrests while keeping away dirt and mud.
- A crankcase venting system that is enclosed shields the machine from dirt and oil from the engine.
Improvements Post 2005
Twelve years from the TRX90 was first introduced around 1993 in 1993, to allow Honda to change its appearance, capacity, and suspension.
While the TRX90’s loyal followers were pleased with the changes, many in the racing community were disappointed as they were expecting more from the well-known pit bike. Here’s a list of improvements made to the four-wheeler
- The addition of electric starting.
- The styling of the body was in line with Honda’s sports lineup and appeared like the 450R.
- The use of higher handlebars and brake levers that are smaller (repositioned closer to the grip) enhanced ergonomics.
- Floorboards with raised footpegs were replaced by the original style.
- Newly-installed mudguards centered on the floor stopped mud from accumulating onto the flooring.
- The pit bike was upgraded with bigger bottom-out bumpers, some minor suspension changes, and a stronger skid plate.
- Tank capacity for fuel has been increased by 1.58 US gallons/6 liters to 1.7 US gallons/6.43 liters.
- The Honda TRX 90 came with a brand new silver frame, with white, black, and olive-colored bodywork.
- Stock tires were upgraded between Ohtsu to Maxxis Radials following the introduction of models TRX90X along with the TRX90EX models.
- Honda updated the appearance of this 4×4 by incorporating bodywork shock springs as well as new graphics.
TRX90 Known Issues Carburetor Problem
If you are concerned look for any debris in the fuel and petcock lines while cleaning the carb. Alcohol in winter blends can create the formation of a residue (if you’ve tried this particular blend).
Check the jets for debris and remove any gas that is clogged up (especially in the event that the machine was idle for a long). Make use of a fuel filter, and ensure that you get rid of the tiny orifice tubes inside the carb (you can take them out). Spray (not simply do a dip) brake cleaner into the tube that the can comes with, and pair this by using high-pressure air.
After you’ve completed the cleansing process then replace the old fuel with new and your quad will function as new. Change the oil, and replace the spark plug, too.
Usually, when a quad is in a secluded area for long periods of a period of time, the slide in the carburetor can become stuck and cause the machine to run at a high rate.
This could happen following the replacement of carb and can be followed by the exhaust glowing.
If one of these occurs you should make sure you check your carb’s slide the air/fuel screw arrangement as well as CDI. It is also recommended to replace the oil and clean the airbox unit and grease the fittings.
lubricate the chain, empty the fuel tank also clean and scrub the car. While you clean the engine, you must remove any rubber components prior to spraying the cleaner.
Also, make use of an air compressor and blower to blow across all the passageways to ensure nothing is stuck. It is possible to purchase a new CDI electric starter if the issue persists.
Restricted Top End
The CSPC regulates all four-wheelers of 90cc to be able to reach a maximum speed of not more than 23 mph. However, if you follow these modifications that you can do, you’ll be capable of making the TRX90 fly
- Take off the plates that restrict your movement and snorkel cap
- Make sure to add an exhaust to make it fit with an exhaust(view the video on Amazon)
- Change the gearing (and remove the rev limiter)
- Choose an extremely high-rev CDI and a larger-sized carb
- Cut the wires in pink
- Port cylinder heads
There may be a problem getting your engine started in cold weather, or you may notice your quad slipping to take fuel from midrange. Both of these are signs of an issue with starting.
If this happens, ensure that the rectifier and regulator aren’t burned, and all lights are functioning properly. Also, make sure that the fuel lines, tanks as well as the fuel filter inline, air filter, and car are clear of any clogs. Make sure you check for any intake or vacuum leaks in the boot.
Also, your 4×4 must come with an air filter installed in it. It’s not often and secondhand cars might have missing parts that the new owners might not know about.
Honda TRX 90 reviews are highly positive. With a few minor features, users and consumers enjoy the 4×4 as an entertaining machine and an ideal teaching tool for youngsters.
It is easy for children to grasp the importance of safety, and get a good understanding of the unit’s mechanism.
For a beginner driver, riding a TRX90 replacing the filters and oil, and ensuring that the quad is spic-and-span to take you on your next trip helps in the development of responsible driving among these young drivers.
Honda Motor Company Ltd. is the manufacturer of Honda TRX90 and has been developing groundbreaking sport ATVs since its inception in the 1980s.
The Japanese manufacturer has come far from being a renowned motorcycle manufacturer and releasing nameplates with luxury like Acura as well as becoming a major player in the ATV scene to the forefront.
Because of Honda’s ongoing efforts to produce top-of-the-line cars including power equipment, commuter motorcycles It has now become an international top player in energy solutions, robotics, and AI as well as mobility.
Conclusion – Honda TRX 90 ATV
This popular youth ATV has been around for the past 26 years and has a lot of reasons. It’s the only kid ATV that has the manual transmission, which makes children who grow to be more proficient adult riders in the race.
It’s a great way to get young ones familiar with the fundamentals of off-roading. Its design, ergonomics for ages, and its ease of use make it an enjoyable ride.
The only issue is its lack of suspension upgrade or a larger wheel journey. However, even with just 2.6 inches of travel across all four wheels, the suspension is race-ready.
The car might not be the largest or the most technologically sophisticated in its category, but it’s got all the elements needed to can be tough to beat. If you’re in search of a fun but challenging mode of transportation, you’ve come to the right vehicle!
How fast does a 90 ATV go?
A 90cc ATV that is stock will run around 15-18 speeds when equipped with the factory speed limiter set and a weight of 80lbs rider. The throttle limiter can be adjusted, or taking out the jumper, can increase speeds by 30-30. With modifications, I’ve experienced rates that exceeded 40 mph.
Does a Honda TRX 90 have an oil filter?
Note: The procedure to change the oil on the Honda TRX 90 is identical or similar to the process used in most small ATVs with no oil filter.
How much is a 2005 Honda TRX 90 worth?
The price for the base model for the year 2004 Honda TRX 90 ATV is $2649. This is $318.75 higher than the other models.
Does Honda still make TRX?
Refreshed FourTrax Recon joins returning TRX250X.
American Honda has revealed today 2021 models of its most compact ATVs, the FourTrax(r) Recon(r) multi-purpose model, as well as the TRX(r)250X sport model.
Whats the smallest ATV Honda makes?
2021 Honda TRX90X
Honda’s sport ATV is the smallest in size, making this possible. And for 2021, the model has been upgraded with brand new graphics and color-matched front springs.
What is a good size quad for a 14 year old?
Teenagers shouldn’t ride ATVs with a range of 70cc and 90cc. The most suitable ATVs for your teenager must appear stylish and have enough speed to keep pace when they ride with groups.
Does the TRX 90 have gears?
The most notable characteristic that we love about this TRX features its foot-shift, four-speed semi-automatic transmission. It’s not just enjoyable; it also makes this transmission more agile than other CVT transmissions in the ATV Mini class.
How fast does a Honda TRX 90 go?
35 miles per hour
The maximum speed of an original TRX 90 model is 35 miles per hour. Minor adjustments, such as cutting through the pink wire, can increase the speed up to 50 mph.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What exactly does TRX mean on What is TRX’s meaning on a Honda?
TRX refers to the FourTrax or a SporTrax-series four-wheeler. It’s relatively simple to differentiate the SporTrax since it is the sole 90-class 4×4 that has its TRX designation. Any vehicle with a bigger displacement will instantly be an adult-sized ATV sport.
2. What is the speed at which the Honda TRX 90 runs?
The top speed for the standard TRX 90 can be reached at 35 miles per hour. Small adjustments, such as cutting off the pink wire could increase the speed to 50 the speed. Rebuild suggestions are available to boost the top speed in the earlier parts on this page.
3. Is it have reverse? Does the Honda TRX 90 have reverse?
Unfortunately, the 4×4 does not include a reverse, thus, drivers must be aware of their vehicle’s turning radius.
|4. What is the value of the Honda TRX90 worth?
The MSRP for the Honda TRX 90 ranges from $2,649 up to $3,099 depending upon the year of manufacture and the finish. This price for the Honda TRX90 is not inclusive of delivery costs, dealer prep, or assembly charges.
The average retail price is between $1,600 to $2,725 – usually models in good condition. Auction listings can range from $1,600 to $3,250. These vehicles are likely to be in stock or have tons of mods and recently-installed components.
5. Is there a particular year model I should stay clear of when purchasing a Honda TRX90?
Deciding which is the most suitable model year for your purchase is dependent on the level of skill that the rider has. This is if you are purchasing a quad for your child.
When your kid is younger than 12 and has difficulty with a pull rope starter, it’s recommended to buy the model in 2006 or later. However, if your child is an experienced rider then any model year will work.